The Rhino and Elephant Sanctuary at Imire in Zimbabwe is going from strength to strength.
This is one of our most popular projects where volunteers get to work hands on with Elephants, Endangered Rhino and other wildlife at the sanctuary.
With the help of volunteers the project has some impressive achievements for 2017 which are detailed below. As well as having as below as well as having just completed building brand-new elephant bomas so the elephants can now spend the night secure, in a happy haven, with minimal restriction. At the start of 2018 the project has also introduced community home visits, so that volunteers get to experience a real Shona home in the community, and have an insight into the day to day lives of local Zimbabweans.
- 166 volunteers came through Imire
- 17,928 volunteer hours
- Distributed 31.3 tonnes of game cubes for the elephants, buffalo, rhino and antelope
- Delivered 4,680 hay bales for animals around the conservancy
- Dipped 891 cattle every month to prevent reduce the number of ticks and other pests within the conservancy
- Spent 208 hours elephant monitoring and research
- Spent 124 hours white rhino rhino tracking and monitoring
- 104 hours black rhino monitoring
- Spent 54 hours conducting game surveys
- Received 104 hours of Shona culture lessons (learning to cook traditional meals, traditional songs, language and dancing)
- Maintained 4 vegetable gardens
- Spent 80 hours giving additional lessons at Numwa School
- Carried out 26 snare patrols on foot and found 3 snares – an amazing reduction from over 80 snares in 2016, showing the effectiveness of increased horse and foot patrols
- Carried out 13 horse patrols
- Spent 29 hours removing invasive species from the conservancy
- Built a new classroom at Chizungu school providing space for 72 students
- Assisted with the preparation of a womens clinic to provide maternity and childbirth support for the women in the community
- Facilitated the installation and up-keep of a self-sustainable carpentry work shop and workspace for the womens sewing group in the community
- Donated 1 x Apple desktop to the local school.
Volunteers are so generous and stuff their suitcases FULL of things for the local children and communities. Last year was an amazing year and volunteers donated an abundance of smaller gifts for the entire community. We are eternally grateful for the ongoing support.
Are you interested in volunteering? You can join this project and help throughout the year from between 2 and 8 weeks.
Volunteers can join on any Monday throughout the year and need to arrive into Harare Airport where we will arrange your inclusive transfers on arrival and departure.
Find out more on the link below or contact email@example.com